Saturday 7 April 2012

Melted Fabric Flowers

Over the Winter I have been trying out a few crafts and I thought I would share a couple of photographs here with you quickly. Melted fabric flowers are something I have been wanting to try for a few years, and kept putting off, but as it turns out they are quite simple.


I have cut out a few circles of man-made fabric decreasing in size towards the middle and snipped the edges where the petals should go. Then you slowly lower the edges towards a candle flame...I started quite high above the candle you will notice when the fabric starts to melt probably about 4 to 6 inches above the flame, you need a gentle approach here and never get low enough to touch the flame.

Man made fabric melts whereas natural fabric would probably burn, I took safety precautions here and had a bowl of water close by just in case but nothing has ever caught fire. As you can see in the photo when the edges melt they curl inward like flower petals. I have stacked together a few colours and glued beads in the center to give the flower an anemone look.


I used one of the flowers on this hand made card for my daughter. I also sewed one on the crochet hat I made for my youngest daughter.


This hat was very simply worked without a pattern just increasing from a ring until it was the right size. I made the flower to go on the side of the hat as seen in the above photo but my daughter had other ideas and always wore it on the front of her head like a little mini pink Dalek.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, they're really very pretty & delicate looking! Can I ask what type fabric you used? Sadly, doesn't look like anything I've got here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, the blue/green flower was layered with two different types of fabric, a satin and an organza. The pink flower was just done with organza as I didn't have any pink satin.

      Hope that helps :)

      Delete